Urban Teaching Farm
Out of the Garden Project is excited to introduce our NEW Urban Teaching Farm!
The Urban Teaching Farm initiative was launched in November of 2018, with grant funding on 3 acres at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in the historic Warnersville neighborhood, just south of downtown Greensboro. Our goal is to improve access to fresh foods, offer service learning opportunities, and teach the skills of regenerative agriculture to the next generation in our community.
Our community is a neighborhood with a rich history. Founded in 1865 as the first planned African American community in the area, it is still home to some of these families generations later. Though severely and irrevocably transformed by the federal urban renewal program in the 1960s, the neighborhood takes great pride in being the first registered Heritage Community in Greensboro (2015) and is filled with a loving, supportive community.
To support our farm’s mission, we offer memberships to our CSA-style Harvest Box program. In the 2020 season, we are offering 50 weekly shares from April through the beginning of November. Harvie runs our Harvest Box program!
What is Harvie?
Harvie is a software platform that helps farmers offer their customers a customizable farm share program. Here is how it works:
Each week’s share will be based on a combination of your preferences and what our farm has available that week. For example: don’t like beets? Rate them a “not for me” and you will never get them in your share! Love carrots? Rate them “I love them” and if we’ve got them, you’ll get them! And each week you can further customize your share by swapping items too!
Bottom line, Harvie gives you more choice and flexibility while still supporting local, seasonal farmers!
What You Can Expect
- Once you sign up, you’ll get to set preferences to all the products we offer. This tells the algorithm what to give you every week. Don’t worry, you can change these at any time!
- Prior to your delivery you’ll receive the “It’s Time to Customize Your Share” email. You’ll have a window of time to make swaps, place a hold or reschedule your share, or purchase extras. If your share looks good, you don’t have to do anything, just pick up as usual.
- Pick up your fully customized share!
Harvie’s Built-In Features
Flexible Payment Plans
Tired of remembering to make payments or can’t pay in full? Choose the payment plan at checkout and your card will be charged automatically each time your share is delivered.
Vacation planned? Need to change your pick up location? No problem. You can easily reschedule your share or change pick up locations to accommodate your busy life, so no more missing out on those veggies you paid for.
Fridge full of food but nothing for dinner? We’ve got you covered. Harvie is working hard to provide you with recipe suggestions, cooking tips, storage, and food prep resources so you won’t be scrambling to get dinner on the table.
Outstanding Customer Support
Have questions? We have solutions! Harvie is providing you with customer service folks who are on standby to help you with any questions you have.
Click here to find out more about Harvie!
As a Harvest Box member you will receive:
- A weekly box (valued at $21) of 4-8 different kinds of local and sustainably grown vegetables from April 17th-October 9th, 2019
- An Out of the Garden Project reusable tote for weekly pick-ups
- Invitations to monthly community dinners at the farm
- An invite to our end of season Fall Harvest Day Celebration in October
We also plan to offer our fresh produce at local farmers markets soon, so please stay tuned for more information!
We have found that the best way to learn about farming is to try it out! We invite individuals, families, leadership groups, coworkers, and high school aged young adults to join us on the farm Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and some Saturdays. To learn more about volunteer opportunities at the Urban Teaching Farm, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 336.430.6070 ext. 2.